If you’re looking for some quick applesauce recipe, this just might be the solution for you!
Applesauce is one of my favourite ingredients. I try using it in every recipe possible because it keeps the cake moist and also as it tastes so yummy! I especially love the part where I can just lick some off the wooden spatula 😛 So, this is probably the easiest and the quickest recipe. The trick here really is using really good tasting apples, which are juicy and sweet. I love adding a bit of cinnamon to it simply because I love the apple-cinnamon combination. You can, however, skip it if you aren’t very fond of cinnamon. Moreover, I use apple cider in my recipe to enhance the flavour, but you can also use apple juice or water.
I love the versatility of applesauce. You can use it in just so many ways. Which is why, I like making a bit extra and store it for future use. It stays for about a week if stored covered in a refrigerator or about a month in the freezer. So, shall we start?
Makes: 1 cup Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 medium sized apples, peeled and diced into 1/2″ squares
- 50 ml apple cider or unsweetened apple juice or water
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- Peel, core and cut the apples in about 1/2″ squares/ chunks.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring the apple cider or juice or water just to a boil, over medium heat. Add the diced apples and stir, reducing the heat to a simmer. Cover using a lid, stirring occasionally, cooking until the apples turn soft and almost translucent. It would take about 10 minutes. Add a little bit of extra cider or juice, if the apples start sticking to the bottom.
- Remove from heat, stirring using a wooden spatula. Mash the apples with the back of the spatula or a fork. You can decide the consistency of your sauce, smooth or a bit chunky. (I prefer it a bit chunky)
- Add sugar and cinnamon to the sauce and mix well. You can adjust the sugar to your taste. We are ready!
- If you’re using unsweetened apple juice or water, you can add a splash of lemon juice as well.
- This is an unsweetened applesauce recipe. If you want to sweeten it, just add more sugar.