These mini, color explosion bombs are so adorable and perfect for any kind of celebration!
Aren’t these just adorable? I feel so happy while writing this post because I absolutely love how the colors have come out! I love a colorful thing, don’t you? So, I made these little colorful bombs in celebration of a festival, here in India, called Holi, which is a festival full of colors. Holi is all about colors & celebrations, which also sets the beginning of the Spring season. So, I wanted to make something which sort of replicates the spirit of the festival. And what could be better than these rainbow cupcakes! 😀 I have used 4 colors here, you can choose more if you want to. However, I would suggest sticking to 4 or lesser, as your batter might flow out. You can also choose your order of colors. Mine was blue-yellow-orange-red.
They are so simple to make, but the results can be deceiving. I have used a simple vanilla as my base, but you can try them with any other flavour of your choice, till the time the batter is still white. And the best part is, they’re eggless! They are still so soft and moist. And oh, rise so beautifully. So much, that they actually turned out to be mushroom shaped. I had to chop the sides off. Though, thats just my mistake. I was too overwhelmed by their looks and overfilled my liners. 😛
Even though I love the idea of cupcakes, I never like eating one from a bakery simply because they are generally loaded with buttercream frosting, something which I’m not really a fan of. I would trade buttercream for literally anything. I feel it’s quite heavy for my palate. On the other hand, I love cream cheese. So, I decided to go for a vanilla cream cheese frosting with my pretty little cupcakes. And trust me, you will love this one! It’s so smooth and flavourful. I love how you get a very subtle hint of tartness with all the sugary drama. Just enough to keep you wanting more.
I guess too much talking, we should get to the cupcakes now. I have used my Eggless Vanilla Cake recipe as a base, except that I have decreased the amount of flour a bit.
I guess we are good to go!
Makes: 12 cupcakes
For the sponge:
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 120 ml plain buttermilk
- 50 gms butter
- 50 gms applesauce
- 175 gms castor sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- red, orange, blue & yellow food coloring
For the frosting:
- 115 gms (4 oz) cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 drops of maple flavouring (optional)
For the sponge:
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder and baking soda, in a large bowl. Keep aside.
- In another large bowl, cream butter until soft. Add sugar. Beat until it resembles like wet sand. Add applesauce and beat again for a few seconds.Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Once the buttermilk is over, add milk. Mix well using a spatula. Do not beat the batter at this point. Only mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Divide the batter evenly into 4 medium bowls. Add a drop of every color in the different bowls and mix. Pipe every colored-batter separately in different piping bags and snip the tips.
- Starting with blue, pipe a layer of the blue-colored batter in every cupcake liner. Pipe the next layer of yellow-colored batter on top and mix slightly using a toothpick. Move on to the third layer of orange-colored batter and again mix using a toothpick. Lastly, pipe the last layer of red-colored batter and mix slightly. Do not overfill your liners and make sure they are only 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 mins at 180 C or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let them cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, whip the whipping cream until it forms soft peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the cream cheese until soft. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract & maple flavouring and mix well.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese. Frost your cupcakes as per your choice. You’ve nailed it!
If you would like to hear about more yummy updates every week, hit the follow button on the right. You can also follow me on instragram at: myyummyspatula