I have come to a realisation of just how much I love brownies. Not just the regular brownies, but the gluten free ones. They are the real deal. They are so fudgey and gooey, oh god! Since, it’s almost Christmas, it would be only appropriate to make these Chocolate Cranberry Brownies, topped with glossy peppermint ganache. Coming to why they are cupcake shaped, I recently bought these fluted mini cake moulds that I couldn’t wait to try. Well, I turned my brownies into brownie cupcakes. Anyhow, they are as good as it gets. They are rich, dense, fudgey and gooey. The best part you ask? They are gluten free, sweetened with coconut sugar and use coconut oil to make them all gooey. You can now enjoy all the goodness, without the guilt. Win win! 😀
I have used organic vegan dark chocolate and non alkalised cacao powder from Mason & Co. and I cannot describe just how amazing their chocolate tastes! If you have never tried their chocolate, please go do so now. I’m not somebody who binges, but I stuffed my face with the last piece of brownie late last night because I just couldn’t not do it. That’s how good they are. I guess it’s definitely to do with the ganache. I love all things peppermint. Growing up, my sister and I absolutely loved After 8. They were thin chocolate coated peppermint squares. No wonder we loved them! Make sure to use peppermint extract here and not spearmint or you will end up with toothpaste flavoured ganache. Nobody wants that now, do we?
With Christmas just 3 days away, these gluten free brownies make for the perfect little treats for your holiday table. They are super quick, easy and so simple to make. Moreover, brownies are the ultimate comfort desserts for a small, warm gathering. You get to jazz this one up into little cupcakes. You can now indulge into all the goodness without worrying about your waistline increasing. So, give these a try and let me know what you think. Happy holidays! ❤
Recipe adaptation: Cook Republic
Makes: 4 brownie cupcakes
For the chocolate cranberry brownies
- 100 gms good quality dark chocolate (min. 60%), chopped
- 1/2 tbsp espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 40 gms coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 30 gms coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 30 gms almond meal
- pinch salt
- crushed nuts, optional
For the peppermint ganache
- 75 gms good quality dark chocolate
- 60 gms full fat coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
For the brownies
- Grease a cupcake pan with butter and dust with flour. Keep aside. Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the chopped chocolate & coffee and place it over a bowl of simmering water and melt the chocolate until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add in the coconut oil and mix well. Stir in the cacao powder, almond meal, salt and cooled chocolate and mix until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. It’s okay if few crumbs stick to the skewer. Do not over bake them. They are best enjoyed when gooey. Let it cool before de-moulding.
For the peppermint ganache
- Roughly chop the dark chocolate and place it in a small bowl.
- In another saucepan, heat coconut cream until it begins to boil. Do not boil. Pour the heated cream over the chopped chocolate and let it stand for 2 minutes without stirring. Stir till the chocolate is completely melted. Add the peppermint extra and mix until you have a shiny ganache. Let it rest for 15-20 mins before piping.
- Fill a piping bag with the ganache and pipe the brownie cupcakes. Serve warm with a cup of tea or coffee or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Happy eating!
If you like hearing from me, please hit the follow button. You can also follow me on instagram and Facebook for more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories!
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula