I am hit with two realisations after this. First, I love citrus fruits in cold frozen form. I just feel they really enhance their flavour and keep it very, idk, pure so to say? I love a good lemon tart but lemon sorbet > lemon tart anydayy! It just tastes more lemony you know? Okay I know I’m sounding weird lol. (Might add that to my list of realisations now :P) But I hope you get what I mean.
Second, plans don’t work for me. I have never been much of a planner anyway but whatever little, they just don’t seem to work for me. I tend to slack a lot more. I’m a slacker planner. (HAHA, definitely adding a third realisation now!) To give you an instance, I had been planning to make a green apple granita for a MONTH now and guess what, I made it only yesterday. This one, on the other hand, was never in my radar. Until yesterday, when I visited my regular fruit guy and spotted these gorgeous grapefruit. I was down to work as soon as I reached home. You see? I certainly take my spontaneity streak very seriously 😀
Coming to this. You know the feeling you have when you taste a certain something and there’s an instant smile on your face? This is just one of those things. Even for somebody like me, who’s in the kitchen every single day, it’s rare. Trust me. I’m not talking about extremely good tasting stuff, well, that’s always there. But this is like that happy feeling when your soul is just blessed. 🙂
I wasn’t expecting something very extraordinary with this granita. In fact, I wasn’t even planning to share this recipe until I tasted it. This was like my eureka moment lol. Okay, maybe no haha. I especially love the addition of black pepper here. You guys know anything weird excites me. To my surprise, grapefruit and black pepper is in fact a very extensively used combination. I didn’t know that. But no wonder it is because this stuff tastes amazing! It’s the right amount of sweet and sour, with just a kick of spice from that black pepper. And the vanilla extract just binds everything together. Winner no? It’s definitely a keeper and you will realise why after you try it. No kidding!
- 200 ml freshly squeezed grapefruit juice ~ ( 2 medium )
- 45 gms castor sugar
- 60 ml water
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper *
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the grapefruit juice and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and ground black pepper. Start with 1/2 tsp and add more pepper if you feel the flavour isn’t enough. (Don’t go overboard as the flavour will get more pronounced on freezing).
- Pour into an airtight container and freeze for 8 hours or overnight, stirring using a fork every hour or so to break any frozen parts into large crystals by dragging a fork across the surface. It can hold, covered, for a few days at this point (although it’s a good idea to give it the fork treatment every once in a while so that it doesn’t harden up.) To serve, drag the fork across the surface and scoop the ice crystals into a pretty glass and serve.
*- I highly suggest using freshly ground black pepper over black pepper powder since it is more subtle and gives a smoother flavour.
Send over a picture if you do give this a try using the hashtag #MyYummySpatula and tag @myyummyspatula. Can’t wait to see all your recreations! ❤
Like more deliciousness ? Hit the follow button! You can also check out more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories on Instagram! xx
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula