V-Day is just around the corner! I’ve never been a fan of V-Day. All that cheesy stuff people do, ugh! But that’s just my personal opinion. Knock yourself out if you like cheesy things- free will right? For the longest time, my sister has been my Valentine. When she was studying in Brighton, she would post me these cute V-Day cards and I would send her giant ones just to show that I loved her more lol. We still buy each other V-Day presents but it’s more out of force than love now haha. I’m just kidding, we still love each other. Now that I think of it, I have actually never dated anybody around this time. Wow, I literally just realised that. Anyhow, I still have my sister so that’s a good thing right? Like I said, I don’t really like V-Day but any excuse to bake a batch of brownies and I’m up for it! 😀
You guys obviously know I’m obsessed with brownies. If there’s one thing I can bake at any given time, it would be brownies. I always wanted to open a little at home Brownie Bakery after I came back to Nepal, but working full time never really allowed that so. So now I just like to bombard you guys with brownie recipes, win-win ya? Okay these brownies are ridiculously simple. So simple that my friend, who has no clue about baking whatsoever, made them and they turned out great! You get the drift then? Plus they are pretty damn addictive! If you aren’t much of a coffee person, feel free to skip it. I would reduce the sugar slightly (say 15-20 gms) though if omitting the espresso powder. My whole family is obsessed with coffee and they absolutely loved it! My sister is quite a hard one to please because of how critical she is of me (in a good way though) and she couldn’t stop reaching for more. I guess that means they are good? Anyhow, bake these for your boyfriend, sister, mom or maybe for all your loved ones and you can definitely expect a big present as a thank you ! 😛 Happy baking! ❤
Do share a picture if you decide to give it a try. Tag me on instagram @myyummyspatula or send me a DM! Would love to see all your interesting creations! 🙂
Recipe adaptation: Handle The Heat
Makes: 9 pieces
- 100 gms dark chocolate, 50% cocoa *
- 40 gms dark chocolate, 70% cocoa *
- 85 gms salted butter
- 100 gms castor sugar
- 80 gms nutella, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 gms all purpose flour
- 15 gms cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp espresso powder **
- Grease an 8″ square tin and line with baking paper. Keep aside. Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Melt the two kinds of chocolate and butter over a double boiler. Once melted, remove from heat and add in the nutella. Mix until no lumps remain. Let it cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add in the vanilla and mix.
- Pour the chocolate-nutella mixture into the eggs and mix.
- Lastly, add in the flour, cocoa powder and espresso powder and mix just until the flour is well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and bake for 15-18 mins or until a wooden screwer inserted comes out clean. A few moist crumbs are good. Do not over bake as you want them to be fudgey and gooey. Cool completely before slicing them.
- You can serve them as it is or if you want to go an extra step to jazz them up, cut them into slices. Cut out paper hearts of size a little smaller than your brownie slice and place them over each slice. Dust icing sugar over them. Carefully remove the paper hearts. Tada! Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
*- I like to use a mix of light and dark dark chocolate to build an intense chocolate flavour. You could use all dark or all light dark chocolate if you wish. If using all dark. increase sugar by 20 gms.
**- This is just enough for you to taste a good coffee flavour. A little more would be a bit overpowering. Also, I would not recommend using instant coffee powder as they lack intensity of flavour. However, add a little extra (say 1.5 tbsp) if using instant powder.
Send over a picture if you do give this a try using the hashtag #MyYummySpatula and tag @myyummyspatula. Can’t wait to see all your creations! ❤
Like more deliciousness ? Hit the follow button! You can also check out more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories on Instagram! xx
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula