You remember my Mom’s Special Vanilla Cake (Eggless) ? No? Well, now you do. 😛 It’s been such a hit amongst you guys and I’m so glad you all loved it! Mom’s the one who deserves the credit for it honestly, so it actually makes her happier. 🙂 This one is a very close adaptation of my eggless vanilla cake. Just a couple of things switched around to let the almond flavour shine through. I also especially wanted to try a wholewheat version for it, and it worked like a charm! Now I do love my eggs, be it in my cake or my breakfast, and it’s so much easier to develop recipes with eggs in them, but eggless recipes certainly have their charm. Plus they are a tad bit more challenging so that’s fun right? You guys are gonna love this one!
I love tea cakes for there is no fuss involved. More often than not, all they need is one bowl and a few simple ingredients and voila! I’m not a fan of frosted cakes, mainly because I do not have the patience to make them lol and partly because I’m too lazy to make my own non-dairy frostings. I’m really not THAT lazy though.. Anyhow, turns out tea cakes are wonderful on their own so why not? This is one lazy girl’s cake. So easy and simple to put together and it tastes pretty damn good! I baked mine in a skillet pan because well, I like to switch things up but you can bake them in a regular baking tin or even bake them as muffins. I also made a couple muffins which obviously didn’t last very long so yeah. And I still wonder why I have put on weight ?! But well, one life and all that. Like they say, eat dessert first! 😀
Do share a picture if you decide to give it a try. Tag me on instagram @myyummyspatula or send me a DM! Would love to see all your interesting creations! 🙂
Recipe adaptation: From my Mom’s Special Vanilla Cake (Eggless)
Makes: 1 skillet cake
- 50 gms salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1.5 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp almond butter, optional
- 60 gms condensed milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- few drops of almond extract
- 75 gms sifted wholewheat flour, measured after sifting *
- 20 gms almond meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch baking soda
- 2 tsp custard powder
- 75 ml milk, at room temperature
- 40 ml coke
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced + extra for topping
- 40 gms blanched/slivered almonds
- Grease a skillet pan with butter and line with baking paper. Keep aside. Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the castor sugar and almond butter and beat until light and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and beat again until light and fluffy. About 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients in parts, alternating with milk, mixing along each addition. Do not over beat. Just until the flour is well incorporated.
- Add in the coke and mix again.
- Lastly, fold in the strawberries. Pour the batter into the prepared skillet. Stud the cake with blanched almonds and more sliced strawberries. Bake for 30-35 mins or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean. Serve with a cuppa of tea/coffee or enjoy plain!
*- This is a very important step. Do not forget to sift the flour.
- It can also be baked in a regular baking pan. Double the quantity and bake in a 7″ baking tin for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Send over a picture if you do give this a try using the hashtag #MyYummySpatula and tag @myyummyspatula. Can’t wait to see all your creations! ❤
Like more deliciousness ? Hit the follow button! You can also check out more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories on Instagram! xx
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula