How’s everybody been doing? It’s been a while since we actually interacted, hasn’t it? I have been very low key and also realised that I haven’t really talked about the changes that’s taken place over the past month or so. So, just to give you guys an update – not that most of the people reading this care, or are supposed to care, I feel it’s essential to sort of give you guys glimpses of my life since we are mainly connected through a screen.
For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you already know that I’m back to Nepal. It feels great to be back home for good (at least for a while) after being away for so long, especially back to my baby- Honey. Oh, he’s the cutest dog ever! ❤ Although I like being home, there’s only so much time I can spend here. Don’t get me wrong, I love the whole calm and relaxed living here, all the luxuries that come with being at home. But I’m definitely more of a city person, with all it’s vibrancy, chaos and fast life. Anyhow, still settling in, and I feel it’s gonna be a good time. One of the things I look forward to the most are the Saturday Farmer’s Markets. What bliss! I never thought I could find blackberries or kale here! I was secretly doing my happy dance when we spotted a basil plant last Saturday and I have been wanting one since forever! I’m sure you must have gauged my love for farmers market by now. Hehe.
Now that we have a full fledged basil supply, I wanted to try the whole Mango-basil combination. Somehow sorbets tend to be my go-to for experimenting with new flavours, plus summersss. Added a little of ginger to give an extra kick and oh boy! When my dad just casually asks for seconds and thirds, you know it’s pretty damn good! He’s such a kid when it comes to desserts, haha. So if you don’t want to take my word for just how good this sorbet tastes, take my dad’s! #DadApproved 😛 I also got the MOST amazing trick to make the smoothest of sorbets without using a churner!! I know right!! You’re welcome! :*
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar *
- 2 1/4 cups mango puree (about 3-4 large mangoes)
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- Heat water and sugar in a heavy pan until the sugar has dissolved completely. Let it simmer on low heat for 2 mins. Let it cool.
- Add the mango puree to the sugar syrup and stir well. For a lump free sorbet, sieve the mango puree before adding to the sugar syrup.
- Stir in the chopped basil leaves and the ginger. Pour into an airtight container. Line the surface of the sorbet with cling film to avoid ice crystal formation. Freeze until frozen, whisking every hour or so.
- When the sorbet is frozen, break into chunks and blend for 30 seconds – a minute, to break the ice crystals. Freeze for minimum 4 hours. Serve plain or with toasted coconut flakes.
*- Adjust the sugar depending upon the sweetness of mangoes.
If you like hearing from me, please show some love by hitting the follow button. You can also check out more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories on Instagram and Facebook! xx
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula ❤
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula