Okay, I have a confession to make: I’m obsessed with brownies! Well, I guess that’s no secret now. I also never liked vegan brownies. Don’t get wrong. I like my brownies gooey and fudgey, and not cakey and moist (might as well have chocolate cake right?) And somehow, every time I made vegan brownies, they were just never the same. Until I made these- 1 Bowl Vegan Walnut Brownies. They are soo good! Why another brownie recipe you ask? So on NYE, I made these eggless brownies and I couldn’t believe how amazing they tasted! Nobody could tell they were eggless. I wanted to try make a vegan version just out of curiosity, and tadaaa! Now obviously, they had to be a little different right? Okay second confession: I’m also obsessed with Masterchef! I saw Tamara make these, and I knew I had to try them. I’m not a fan of the Chocolate-Orange combination so this is the best way around it. Warm fudgey chocolatey brownie, with a subtle orange flavour running through. Top that with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with rum caramel sauce, yum! Now that’s one indulgent dessert, isn’t it?! ❤
Brownies are always fun to make, especially when baked in an orange shell. You know, it’s such a simple dessert to put together and is a great crowd pleaser. They are traditionally called campfire brownies but since we aren’t baking them over a campfire, I’m gonna let that pass. Elevating something as simple as a brownie, isn’t that amazing?! They can get a little messy but I for one have a thing for messy desserts. It’s like the desserts way of saying- “You’re never too old for me” haha. Great thing is that they are super quick to make and so simple. No fuss attached, thank you! Now the ingredients are more or less the same as a regular brownie. The secret ingredient here is mashed banana. It’s what makes the brownie so chewy and fudgey. Throw everything together in a bowl and it’s done. However, you have to bake these brownies a little longer than usual brownies as the orange shell provides insulation, hence it takes longer for heat to pass through. Now if you don’t wanna bake them in an orange shell, that’s fine too. You can bake them in a regular square pan for 20-25 mins. They will still taste amazing! Win-win? You only gotta try it to know good how they taste. So happy baking! 🙂
Do share a picture if you decide to give it a try. Tag me on instagram @myyummyspatula or send me a DM! Would love to see all your interesting creations! 🙂
Makes: 4 medium orange brownies/ 9 regular pieces
- 4 medium oranges, tip removed and hollowed
- 200 gms good quality dark chocolate, min. 60% cocoa
- 40 ml any neutral vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
- 90 gms mashed banana ~ approx 1 large banana
- 70 gms castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 ml hot water
- 90 gms all purpose flour
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- Cut off the top of the oranges and scoop out the pulp. You can use the pulp for making orange juice. Keep aside the hollowed oranges.
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a baking tray with silpat or parchment paper. Keep aside.
- Melt the chocolate and oil over a double boiler.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, castor sugar, vanilla extract, hot water and chocolate mixture.
- Add the flour and espresso powder and whisk until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the brownie batter into the hollowed oranges – up to 3/4th. Place them on the prepared tray and bake for 30-35 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and rum caramel sauce.
- If you do not want to bake them in orange shells, simply bake them in an 8″ square baking tin for 18-20 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Send over a picture if you do give this a try using the hashtag #MyYummySpatula and tag @myyummyspatula. Can’t wait to see all your creations! ❤
Like more deliciousness ? Hit the follow button! You can also check out more drooling pictures, updates and behind the scene stories on Instagram! xx
Instagram handle: myyummyspatula
Facebook handle: My Yummy Spatula